Appalachian State University Conference & Event Services: Senior Conference & Event Manager
Date postedJanuary 20, 2023
Posted By: Career Center,
Serving as both an advocate for the client and the University, and in conjunction with leadership for Conference & Event Services, this position exists to generate revenue through external sales, marketing, contract negotiation, and public relations.
This position will lead the execution of the following:
- Demonstrate the highest level of customer service and set a standard of excellence for our organization.
- Ensure client needs are responded to efficiently and effectively throughout their entire experience.
- Primary responsibility for all Marketing and Sales activities.
- Oversight of the marketing and sales budget, including requests for funding targeted marketing and sales initiatives and evaluation of the return on investment for each implemented strategy.
- Direct outreach to potential clients via attendance at local, regional, and national events.
- Direct outreach to campus partners with high potential for conferencing activities including Academic Affairs, Alumni, Student Affairs, and others.
- Development of marketing materials, correspondence templates, and other items as needed for outreach.
- Response to, and cultivation of, leads in designated market segments and high-potential or high-profile groups.
- Implementation of the sales contract with prospective clients.
- Communication of client needs and appropriate hand-off to the event management team or internal partner for service implementation if appropriate.
- Development and establishment of new conferences, events, meetings, and programs and the enhancement and enrichment of established sessions for youth and adults, such as; academic institutes, sports camps, conventions, retreats, workshops, classes, and other non-credit programs.
- Program management of established conferences and meetings that include: pre-registration information, program registration, budget development, financial accountability/management, marketing and outreach strategies, and promotional materials.
- The employee will work with the University’s physical, technical, and human resources including administrators, coaches, faculty, staff, as well as external clients to provide leadership and expertise.
Sales and Marketing:
- Create and implement a standardized culture of excellent customer service for the organization.
- Provide supervision, training, and development to 2-3 Conference and Event Managers, as well as student and non-student temporary staff during peak event season.
- Assist with the creation and implementation of comprehensive marketing and promotion plans to maximize revenue for campus meeting and event venues.
Optimize space utilization for all meeting, dining, and housing facilities in the Appalachian State University portfolio.
- Provide tours to potential clients and answer questions regarding all spaces and services.
- Represent office in event and conference presentations to campus and community.
Initiate and negotiate full-service contracts for conference and event clients, including food and beverage needs in partnership with campus dining/catering and any approved and preferred catering companies.
- Establish and maintain lost and new business record keeping.
- Attend trade shows, as well as local and regional networking events to showcase facilities and cultivate potential business.